Monday, August 15, 2011

Welcome to Jam-Rock

I have had a blessed life, my parents have allowed me the opportunity to visit many places and experience many different cultures. One of those moments was came over my 21st birthday when my mom took us to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. That was where I got my first sampling of Jamaican cuisine and have been a fan of it ever since. Now sure everyone is familiar with jerk chicken, but Jamaican food goes much further beyond that.

While driving back to work one day with my coworker I spotted a sign for a new restaurant touting their Jamaican cuisine and I decided that I just had to try it. Now this was another experience where I walked into a new place and they had a lunch buffet set up so I talked myself into giving it a try to spread the love around to a variety of dishes.


The first dish include two stewed meats, one beef and one chicken. There was also a curry chicken, rice and beans, and my personal favorite plantains. If you haven't had these get to your nearest Cuban, Latin Amercan, Jamaican, or any other ethnicity that may fry up these scrumptious cousins of the banana. The rice was mediocre, very dry, as would be expected from an uncovered buffet.



Trip 2 included some of the same items, the buffet was limited, so I decided to stick with what worked. So I got another bit of the beef, curry chicken l, and plantains. The one new items was a cabbage side that didnt have much flavor, then again it was cabbage so my expectations were low to begin with. The buffet here was mediocre at best but once again I was again awakened to the pitfalls of ethnic cuisine. In America we are used to the clean cut portions of chicken, most true ethnic cuisine does not seem to care what part of the chicken is getting cook up so you often have to chew slowly for these.



So even though it looks like I had two heaping helping amounts of food here it is quite deceptive. The amount of small bones and gristle I had to pull from my mouth was enough to make a chick for next years dinner. Now I'm not saying that discounts the food in any way, just be weary because you definitely aren't sinking your teeth into white meat filets.

Now while I wouldn't necessarily recommend the buffet I do intend to return here and try their saltfish and ackee, the national dish of Jamaica, just to give these guys a fair shake on their Jamaican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment