Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tex-Mex to the Max

Houston is full of family names that have spawned chains such as Landry’s, Laurenzo’s, Ninfa’s, and of course the Pappas family.

Some people out there are anti-chain restaurants, striving to find the more local dive or hip rebel restaurant, but in my mind if a restaurant has been able to become a chain it certainly means they are doing something right.  This is most definitely the case in my mind for Pappasito’s Cantina, the awesome Mexican restaurant spawned by the Pappas family here in Houston that has found its way all over Texas.

I know that some people truly hate this restaurant for multiple reasons, I have seen comments ranting against the evils of this chain, but to those people I say “Great more room for me”.

I started my night off right, with a couple of glasses of XX, yes I stay thirsty my friends, but the Mexican beer is always a nice relief on a warm Houston summer night.  Of course my greatest indulgence here is never far behind…

Pappasito’s makes some of my favorite salsa that I have found in Houston (definitely top 3), the flavor is great, but the real kicker is the fact that the salsa is hot (temperature more so than spice).  This is one of my favorite things I wish more places would do; a nice warm salsa is so much more enticing to me than stuff that feels like it has been sitting in a fridge.  This warm and thick salsa goes excellently with the nice thin and hot chips that keep showing up at the table as fast as I can cram them in my mouth.

Then of course comes the piece de resistance, the beef fajitas, tender meat cooked medium rare, piled high on a bed of onions, please tell me how this can be wrong?

The tortillas are made in house, they are little warm pillows from heaven sent down by angels on the backs of unicorns and drizzled with gypsy tears, or in other words they are amazing.  They also come with some of the best rice and beans around, I recommend you order the Charro beans over black but that is just me, and let’s be honest I am usually right.  Here are my instructions for construction:
  1. Grab a tortilla
  2. Layer on some guacamole
  3. Layer on some onions
  4. Layer on some beef
  5. Sprinkle with cheese
  6. If you want an extra filling fajita feel free to add some rice or beans in


After working my way through the fajitas and savoring every last bite we were distracted by the small plastic sign on the corner of our table and quite frankly, we could not say no.

Sopapillas are fried piece of tortilla dough, covered in honey and powdered sugar, how can you not get in on that?  Of course they were delicious and by the end everyone was full and happy, life was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment