Monday, August 29, 2011

The rooster made me do it...



This adventure led me to a BRC Gastropub here in Houston located on Shepherd Drive.  A gastropub is a restaurant that serves higher end beer and food and BRC definitely lives up to that definition.  You may be asking what exactly BRC means take a look at their giant statue outside of the restaurant and soak it up.
Now that we have got that out of our system I will issue a disclaimer that I did not exactly go full force into the menu here, just a light sampling of the beer and an appetizer, but after getting my toes wet here it is just a matter of time before I am back to dive in.  Check out the menu for yourself and it is not too hard to see why I will be back.

For the beer tonight I drank up one of my all time favorite beers, Moose Drool. This rich beer is brewed by Big Sky Brewery out of Missoula, Montana.   It is full of flavor, a malty beer, loaded with chocolate and caramel giving it a smooth drink that goes down way too easily at times.

My second beer of the night was another sampling from No Label in Katy, Texas.  This time it was El Hefe Hefeweizen, a sweet beer perfect for the warm summer nights here in Houston.  While I am not a big fan of hefeweizen myself, this one was good and easy to drink.  No Label has quickly become one of my favorite breweries that I keep an eye out for whenever I am at a bar with a wide selection of taps to choose from.

Then came the appetizer, with a wide list to choose from we tossed it back and forth for some time before the waitress informed us of one of the house specials, mac and cheese.   You will find this item under the sides portion of the menu, but as you can see there is no description of the flavor. This is because they rotate it day to day, featuring a new flavor on different days of the week.  This night’s special was buffalo chicken and bleu cheese, a combo too good to say no to.  The chicken was their “Dixie fried chicken” and it was quite frankly amazing and the bleu cheese was perfectly balanced, not too over powering, but all in all a delicious dish.

Basically, it is only a matter of time before I return here for dinner (Monday nights are $7 burger and fry nights) or brunch (their chicken fried steak sounds killer) so stay tuned for a future write up.

No comments:

Post a Comment