Monday, August 22, 2011

Parlez-vous français?


Just a quick update…


As you can see the demon squirrel has returned and was caught red handed in the act of molesting my poor innocent plants.  If only I still had my BB gun the next blog posting might have been how to make squirrel stew.  None the less I don’t have it anymore so I am going to dangle some delicious French food in front of you tonight.

As I have mentioned other places in this blog, I welcome feedback from all of my readers if you have suggestions or complaints, and I finally received one.  One of my loyal readers complained that I was not eating enough “healthy” food and seemed to be focusing far too much on greasy unhealthy options.  Naturally I argued that it was the point of the blog, hence the term Glutton, but because in the end I am a people pleaser I decided to get something a little less greasy than the usual Glutton for Punishment blog posting.

I wandered into Café Bretagne located on Park Row in Katy, and decided to dive in full force into French cuisine.  The décor was simple to say the least; basically everything seemed to be painted black with the exception of a few red accents and a few model sailboats around the café.  Basically odd décor but I didn’t let that distract me from the simple but delicious menu.

The first arrival at my table was a basket of delicious French bread, a nice tough crust with fluffy white interior that tasted like I could have eaten an entire loaf of it if someone was going to twist my arm. 

After satisfying my immediate hunger with a piece or two of the bread my main course arrived, a delicious salad known as Salade Ouessant.  Little background information on the name, Ouessant is an island in the French region of Brittany, or as they say in French, Bretagne, coincidence?  I think not.  It came at recommendation from the waitress so I figured why not live it up a little since the lunch menu here is so reasonably priced (items start around $3.50 and my lunch being the most expensive item was $8).

The salad was coated in a light layer of dressing that had a rich flavor, with a big pile of smoked salmon in the center, 4 shrimp, tomatoes, onions, corn, and lemon wedges.  The salmon was scrumptious; there are few flavors I enjoy as much as a good smoked salmon. 

The shrimp was overcooked, so it was way too tough and the salad probably would’ve been much better if it did not even make an appearance.  The veggies were all good and flavorful, but the lemons were my favorite twist, the tart sweetness went excellently with the other flavors going on in the salad.

Then trouble showed up, as I prepared to take my check from the waitress she asked the most loaded question ever…  Would you like a crepe?  Now I am not usually a dessert person, but the moment she started to describe the Classic French Crepe to me I melted like the butter and sugar that she described in this crepe.  Just soak up these pictures and take my word that the crepe was amazing…


Such a nice fine layer of sugar on a light airy crepe, divine way to end the meal.

So Café Bretagne is a simple café that does food right from what I can tell in the few dishes I sampled, and I will definitely be back to broaden my experience in the cuisine française.

No comments:

Post a Comment