Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Flavor of Texas

BBQ is quite possibly one of the greatest foods ever.  I mean there is something magical that happens when you cool a slab of meat low and slow with some smoke thrown in for good measure.

That is what drew me into 7 Rivers located at 1855 Barker Cyprus in Katy.  The name itself screams homage to the great state that I call home, Texas for those of you who forgot, referring to the seven major rivers that call this place home.

I opted for the three meat plate, what better way to truly test out a BBQ joint than to get a plate full of meat?  For my selections I ordered the turkey, hot sausage, and chopped beef.  My personal favorite of the trio was the turkey, a tender flavorful cut of breast with a nice peppery rub that will definitely have me coming back for more.  The other two were not bad, but not nearly as good as the turkey.  The sauce had some good flavor to it, a good level of spiciness to take it up to the next level, but the best aspect of it is that it is warm, nothing like warm BBQ sauce to dip your meat in.

The sides were pretty decent themselves.  Coleslaw is my latest BBQ addiction, somehow I grew up hating this stuff, but in the past year my tastebuds have fallen in love with slaw and I now find myself in a perpetual quest for a good slaw.  This slaw was not the best I have had lately, but it had decent flavor, and I did like the fact that it is chopped up in smaller bits, so all in all it was a good call.

The fries were a favorite of mine, nice and thick, with a good crisp to them.  Plus you get a larger quantity than any one needs with a three meat plate.

In the end, 7 Rivers was a good choice, it is a rather unassuming place since it is located in a strip mall in Katy, but the flavors are good, and supposedly there is some great beer specials here.  Sadly, I have only been here at lunch during work so my indulgences in cheap beer have been lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment