Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mas Desayuno

Once again I have found myself in a hole in the wall Mexican joint scarfing down a delicious breakfast, perhaps I have a problem.  But if it is a problem, I am okay without finding a cure for the time being.

The last time I wrote about a Mexican breakfast for you I was at El Hidalguense on Long Point in North Houston, this time we are cruising west down Long Point (yes it is a hotbed for quality hole-in-the-wall Mexican food) to a restaurant in a strip center called Tacos Del Julio.

The restaurant is brightly painted, almost so bright that it burns the retinas.  The pain however, is quickly forgotten when a bowl of beans magically showed up in front of me.  Now you may be wondering “Who the hell would want beans early in the morning?” 

I had those thoughts at first, but as some condiments showed up, I quickly began to doctor the beans up with onions and cilantro and next thing I know the bowl was empty.  Surprisingly beans go quite nicely with a giant cup of coffee.

When it came time to order I was torn, the menu is nothing fancy, but there were enough appetizing options to make me go back and forth.  Finally, I asked the waitress for guidance through my difficult decisions and sure enough she led me down the right road, huevos divorciados.

The name is in reference to the fact that one egg is covered in green salsa, while the other is in red, thus they are divorced eggs.  This plate was served up with some bacon, bland potatoes, and some decent refried beans (yes more beans).  As you can see here it is almost set up like a Mexican version of Eggs Benedict, with corn tortillas on the bottom, a layer of ham steak, and then the eggs with the salsa.

As I mentioned, the potatoes sucked, but by taking the corn tortillas that were delivered to me I combined them with the beans and covered them in a few squirts of salsa and that issue was quickly alleviated.

Tacos Del Julio is a good cheap place to go and get a Mexican breakfast while rocking out to Mexican pop music with a dash of Justin Bieber sprinkled in.  However, there is one fatal flaw, there is a small play area off to  one side of the restaurant, and it leads to demonic behavior.  Go figure, a few piece of cheap plastic back yard playground equipment can turn a nice quiet breakfast into a migraine.  So do not linger too long here but it definitely is not stopping me from coming back in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment