Thursday, September 8, 2011

If a 5 year old master chef made a restaurant...

So I have been eagerly waiting to blog this foodventure since I had a backlog to get through and quite frankly this place is quite frankly fantastic.  I had first read about Jus’ Mac on a blog when they were first opening up and for some reason it took a random trip months later to end up here.  I am still kicking myself for not dragging myself up here sooner than I did.

To call Jus’ Mac simple would be an unfair statement, sure there are not many frills, and the building is small, but as the recurring theme in this blog seems to prove, sometimes doing one thing right without too many bells and whistles is the right thing to do.  The restaurant is housed in a small building on Yale just south of the 610 Loop’s north side, and if you aren’t looking for it you will drive right past it, I did this and I was looking for it. 

After strolling into the darkly decorated space I was bombarded by the menu, and it was no easy task to work my way down the varieties of mac and settle on one that would tickle my fancy.

So following a steady debate we decided to settle on three small varieties of mac so that we could amp up the possibility and have a little left over for a later meal (made an excellent side dish for a meal the next day).  All their macs can come with regular or whole grain pasta for those of you who are looking to make this decadent meal a little healthier, it’s the thought that counts right?

Our first selection was the Cheeseburger; this skillet of love was full of ground beef, onions, garlic, and of course topped with cheese (Colby Jack to be precise).  I will just go ahead and say this was my favorite of the three we chose from, it was stellar and I would eat a bucket of it if I had one.

Then there was option numero dos, Buffalo Chicken, this skillet was filled with pan seared chicken, seasoned with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (one of my favorite hot sauces around), and topped with blue cheese.  Your basic run of the mill Buffalo Chicken recipe it would sound like, but wait, there was one last twist in this pasta, thick slab bacon.  Yes, that is correct, THICK SLAB BACON, for those of you who might be hard of hearing; it was wickedly thick bacon that seemed to kick everything else in the teeth.  This past was pretty dang good but still came in at second to the Cheeseburger.

Look I even ate a vegetable.

Then there was the third and final pasta, the Quattro, we figured that a tweaked “traditional” mac and cheese would be a good way to go.  The Quattro is a mac with a “special 4 cheese blend”, which we could not exactly place our fingers on, and a topping of mozzarella and parmesan.   Needless to say, this was our least favorite of the macs because there wasn’t anything that really set it apart from anything more than average.

So if you feel the urge to venture over to Jus’ Mac sometime I have two nuggets of wisdom to impart upon you today.  First, be adventurous, they have some fun combinations and my only regret here was that I could not try more, but give it time I will.  Secondly, get bread crumbs on the mac; it adds a whole new dimension to it with texture really takes it to the higher level.

Basically this place is awesome, go there. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been debating on if I wanted to go here or not. Sound good. Might as well give it a try. Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete