Monday, September 12, 2011

Food For Your Brain

So tonight I am doing it a little different since I am on a business trip and don't quite feel up to writing a food post.

I got a Kindle for Christmas this year and my reading has shot through the roof. I have read some great books including The Hunger Games trilogy and The Song of Ice and Fire series (about to start Dance with Dragons figured 4 books in a row deserved a break).

My favorite book so far has been at the recommendation of my father, The Empire of the Summer Moon. I am history buff and a proud Texan so this book had a much larger impact on me than it would for many of my readers but if you know someone who falls in either category consider it.

The novel is an intertwining tale of the Comanche Indian tribe (beginnings to end), Cynthia and Quannah Parker (Texas legends, there is a town and schools named after him), and the men that helped take this tribe down. Having grown up around much of the area that this novel took place in it was very cool to get the story behind the legends. The fact that these characters sacrificed everything for what they believed was right, doesn't matter which side was, is truly a great story.

The best part of this is the moral debate that this book causes. In recent years we have been bombarded with the wrongs that the "white man" has inflicted upon various tribes, and many were atrocious, but the Comanches take that moral compass and turn it on its head.

It is very heavy on history and military so if those don't interest you this book is not for you. But, if you want an often untold story from history dip your toes in this one, if all else fails you get to meet a character named "Erection that won't go down" and another named "Coyote's Vagina"... Winning combo if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment