Saturday, September 10, 2011

Burger at Barnaby's

I feel I should apologize to you today, my title sucks,  I have sat here for ten minutes drawing blanks on something witty or clever and it just is not happening today.  Let's move on to the meal instead and forget all about my witty shortcomings.

Barnaby's Cafe is a chain here in Houston that has multiple locations throughout the city; the location that I visited was on Shepherd Dr in the River Oaks area.  The menu offers a diverse array of options for people no matter if you are craving a juicy burger or something on the lighter side.  They even tout their all natural and humanely raised meats, not that I can really say it makes my meal taste a whole heck of a lot better but if it makes someone sleep better at night so be it.

The menu is a pretty simple sheet of paper that doubles up as your placemat, as you can see it has a little bit of everything, but my one complaint is that there are really no descriptions for the dishes.  For example, if I wanted Coronado Beef, I have no idea what that even is, I would have to ask my waiter a million questions just to decide on a meal.  Our waiter did not really seem to be mentally checked in so we decided to stick with things that we could decipher from the menu.

For a starter we decided to give there hummus a try (kind of trying to be healthier than our other option of waffle fries with blue cheese fondue).  Yes somewhere beneath all of those veggies is a bowl of very earthy hummus with good flavor.   The real star of this dish were the pita chips, these crisp salty bites were perfect with the hummus, a much better call than if they had given us regular pita.

I had come here with burger on the mind, and knew that this place did not disappoint the last time I came here craving beef.  That left it up to the complicated question of which burger to go with.  I decided first and foremost I would go for one of their more unique burger combinations, and in my last visit had knocked back a green chile cheese burger (you know I love those buggers), so that made my decision a little easier.  Finally, I opted for the spinach and feta burger, a combination that I decided was too different to say no to.

As you can see, this burger comes fully loaded with a gigantic pile of feta, a heap of healthy stuff, and my favorite surprise in it… Kalamata olives, a perfect kick of salty bitterness to complement all of the other flavors going on.  All of the Greek flavors mixing in with the juicy burger were great, my one complaint in this mix was that the feta is dry, don’t get me wrong I love feta, but with that much feta it just made an awful lot of chewing dryness to get a bite down.   It also came with a heaping helping of waffle fries, Barnaby’s has multiple fry options but these are by far my favorite ones that I have tried here.

Barnaby's is good, probably not the best burger joint, but it definitely has a meal for everyone it seems like.  The other thing I noticed here, sorry for not ordering it and getting a shot but I was craving iced tea, but there were old school milk bottles filled with lemonade on most tables, so I would assume they must make a good cup of lemonade.  Keep that in mind if you find yourself in one of these cafes anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment