Monday, October 3, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

In case you guys have not caught on yet I love breakfast.  People say it is the most important meal of the day, I prefer to think of it as the most delicious meal of the day.

I am also a coffee junkie, if left to my own means I have been known to drink an entire pot of coffee all alone, yes I am a mess when it comes to coffee.  Specifically, I want it to be bold, a kick in the teeth, uninhibited by cream or sugar.

With those two loves of my life, a perfect storm is created at one of my favorite breakfast joints in Dallas, Café Brazil.  There are multiple locations throughout the Metroplex, but on this trip Kevin and I went to the location in University Park near the SMU campus. 

Now I will be honest, I do have a history at these restaurants including one alleged event of proposing to a waitress for a glass of water after a long day of a Rangers game and a night in Deep Ellum.  On this trip however, we were of clear minds just looking for a grub breakfast.

As you can see, Café Brazil is a Mecca for coffee lovers with absurd selection and a bottomless cup that is great/horrible for people like me.

Their food is amazing as well, I mean let’s be honest, and I would not lead to a place for its coffee alone.

We will start out with Kevin’s delicious but un-foodventurous meal.  He went with your basic pancake breakfast with the standard fixings.

When this was the only plate that arrived at first Kevin was truly heartbroken.  Poor little Kevin (ps- in the jumbo version of that photo the gray hairs are way too visible).

Once the fluffy pancakes showed up all was right with the world.

Then came my glorious meal choice.  Historically, I have been a fan of the El Gordo Crepe (which translates to the fat guy basically) that is loaded with chorizo, cheddar, onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, bacon, all smothered in a spicy cream sauce.  Basically it is a healthy batch of heaven just waiting to clog your arteries.  Just for you folks though I decided to step outside my normal order and tried the Breakfast Relleno Crepes, filled with eggs, roasted poblano pepper, chorizo, cheddar, and once again that wicked cream sauce. 

This crepe was delicious, the chorizo is amazing, and the peppers give it a mild twist, but that side of cheesy hash browns was a dish that I could eat all day in a giant bucket.  Their other potato side, the rosemary potatoes are equally as good, but on this day the cheesy hash browns were calling my name.

After going to Café Brazil for years with my dad when he was in Dallas, and the time I have been there since he has left I am yet to be disappointed by a breakfast at this place.  Now they just need to open a location in Houston so I don’t have to drive 4 hours for a fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment