Wednesday, January 18, 2012

They Can't All Be Winners

So I generally try to only cover places that I enjoy.  I mean why would I want to put out all of the effort to write a blog on something that I did not even enjoy eating?  Then again there are days where I have to prove that quite frankly I do not enjoy everything, and some places are just that bad that I should probably issue a warning.

I had one of these experiences at Frank's Grill (1915 Mangum in Houston), I stumbled on this place while looking for a bank and a greasy spoon to fill my stomach.  The parking lot was full so naturally I figured that it must be a decent place, boy was I wrong.
I decided to go with the Southern greasy spoon staple of biscuits and gravy.  I mean really, it cannot get much simpler than some good old B&G but evidently not.  While the biscuit was decent I have no clue what that stuff on top of it is.  I mean I have seen white gravy but usually it at least has a few specks of pepper in it or something and instead this was simply a gelatinous blob ruining a perfectly good biscuit.  Strike 1.
After seeing the giant pile of hash browns cooking up on the flat top I at least had a little higher hope for my sides.  The eggs were once again flavorless, but then again eggs really are not rocket science.  The hash browns however did have some unique flavor to them, I am 90% certain that they season their hash browns with some for of cleaning product, they certainly tasted pine tree fresh... Strike 2.

I decided I did not even need a strike three to write Frank's off and there you have it... One place this guy will never be grubbing at ever again. Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment