Sunday, December 11, 2011

What A Twit

So some days there the logic behind Twitter is not always clear, sure it is a place for crazies like me to randomly vent to know one and annoy the few of those that actually follow you.  Once in a while though, there are great benefits of reaching out to people who are more famous than I am and quite frankly know a whole heck of a lot more.

I took advantage of this opportunity on my return trip from Corpus Christi in reaching out to Houston’s resident BBQ/Tex-Mex expert RobbWalsh.  On my trip south along Highway 59 I noticed numerous smokehouses and decided that rather than taking a stab in the dark I would reach out to Robb and get his input which of these joints my trip would be the most delicious at.

Robb pointed out Mustang Creek BBQ south of Hillje, Texas to me as the destination of my meal, and I had no desire to second guess the man.  The one problem I ran into was the location that Google Maps listed as Mustang Creek was actually a hay farm and as I began to hear the dueling banjos going off I flipped a u-turn and headed further on down the road.


To say Mustang Creek is hard to spot at 60 miles per hour might be an understatement; the restaurant is housed in an old Exxon gas station on an empty stretch of Highway.

Do not let the humble settings fool you though; the BBQ here was spot on.  I decided to follow Robb’s advice further with the Bohemian Special, a delicious sandwich piled high with brisket, smoked sausage, onions, pickles, and a smearing of sauce.  To call it amazing might be an injustice to this sandwich, the meats were perfect and the sauce was full of flavor but just in the right quantities so as not to overpower the other flavors between the pillowy soft bread.

Of course I had to get a side and the potato salad looked too good to resist and my eyes did not lead me astray.  It was creamy and full of mustard flavor that accented my meat rounding out the great meal.

I almost walked away after that but then by a chance of fate a cup of banana pudding passed by me and my weak will power gave in.  To say this might have been the best banana pudding I have had in my life (I have a personal fondness of Back Forty BBQ near my childhood home in California but I think that is more of a case of nostalgia), the creamy banana flavor and healthy dosages of mushy Nilla Wafers made this all worthwhile.

In closing, if you need any further empirical evidence that this place is worth the stop, it seems to be a favorite of state troopers patrolling along this stretch of the highway so if they are there and known by name it must be good, which probably also means you should avoid it if you have a warrant out for your arrest but hey such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment