Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Where's The Muzak?

Today’s adventure took us to the ancient Southeast Asian land of Vietnam, a place with a rich history and even more delicious food.  My foodventure on the other hand took me all the way to Katy, Texas to Phở Mai on Wintergreen and I-10.  This place is good, but I don’t think they are expecting any awards for service in the near future.  At times they remind me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, you sit down and immediately they ask if you are ready to order and if you are not, so help you God you better be snappy about your decision.

Now for many people the first thought that comes to mind when you start talking Vietnamese food is phở, the piping hot bowl of soup that seems to come in every variety under the sun, and always with a big plate of roughage.  However, in my mind there is a time and place for that 100,000 degree bowl of liquid and it certainly is not July in Houston. 

Nothing like a rotating condiment station to know you are in good hands.

My personal favorite in the Vietnamese noodle house is a scrumptious bowl of heaven known as bún, specifically one that I am not even going to bother trying to write out but it has char grilled pork and an eggroll on vermicelli noodles and veggies.  With of course the Vietnamese staple sauce known as fish sauce, we will not go into details of what it is or how it is made (saw it once on the Travel Channel), no need to cost you your appetite
Alas, today was not the day for that either.  Today my friend was a day for the most glorious sandwich of them all…  A sandwich that makes Subway’s famed $5 foot long look like child’s play.  Yes my friend we are talking about the famed Bánh mì, a fantastic combo of baguette, grilled meat, some variation of veggies, and more cilantro sprigs than you can shake a stick at.  You may ask yourself “Why on earth would there be French baguette running around in the jungles of Vietnam?”, excellent question, for those of you unaware of the history the French once colonized this land and slapped the moniker of French Indochina.  As is often the case when French people show up they leave something behind (usually their guns if in the case of war), and this time it just so happened to include their delicious white bread.



I love this sandwich because of its simplicity, there is no heavy sauce covering up the flavor, just some cucumbers, carrots, nicely flavored grilled pork, and of course a butt load of cilantro which can easily be removed if that isn’t your groove.  The other amazing benefit is that this thing is $3.95, of course the price which leaves room in the budget for another great little item.


Gỏi cuốn, or the summer roll as I have seen it called other places, is always a good side choice.  A nice cool combo of shrimp, pork, and vermicelli all rolled up in some rice paper.  Basically this is an all around cool meal for a nice sweltering day here in Houston. 

Now about that interesting title, normally when I have eaten here in the past I have been serenaded through my noodles or sandwich to the smooth sounds of Kenny G or a nice instrumental version of some Celine Dion song.  It was always comforting to be reminded of being in an elevator, or maybe doctor’s waiting room surrounded by plague victims while I scarf down my meal.  Today Sarah McLachlan was singing to me while I ate, and all I could think of was those SPCA commercials where they show the abused animals.  Kind of a bad feeling when the running joke of Asian food is cat and images of the animal shelter rolling through my mind while I eat some meat, but have no fear, as usual none of it went to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment