Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Define Mediterranean

Greetings from Space City


First order of business tonight, the squirrels have struck again.  Evidently the squirrels of my apartment complex (not the cute fluffy kind that populated my beloved alma mater) have a personal vendetta against tomato plants, specifically cherry tomato plants.  I came home to once again find the plant tipped over and looking even closer to death than it was when I found it this way yesterday.  Then the thieving rodent returned as I was sitting in my living room and it steals more branches, and does squirrely things to the poor plant.  Needless to say I am sure its days are numbered.

Now on to the main course.

As the title suggests tonight was an adventure in Mediterranean food.  The original plan was to go to Niko Niko's, the Houston classic (visited by none other by Guy Fieri himself as seen here) located on Montrose.  Sadly the parking lot was full to the brim and it was not a good sign so we opted to venture back down Westheimer and landed at La' Fendee.

This spurred a question in my mind, what exactly does food mean by calling itself Mediterranean?  I mean geographically speaking that is a vague term it could apply to cuisine from Spain, Northern Africa, Greece, Lebanon, Israel, and countless other nations.  So it is always a grab bag of sorts when you walk into one of these places for a first time, me personally I like it all because the food has flavor, but others might not feel the same.

La' Fendee was actually a pleasant surprise, it is a small dining room with a simple menu and a wall of hookahs, and during our time there the primary focus seemed to be the quality summer game shows of ABC. Nothing like a little Wipeout to go with your hummus and gyros.


My meal for the night was a staple of mine when trying a new Med restaurant, a scrumptious falafel sandwich with a side of hummus and grape leaves.  Needless to say this was not the best falafel gyro I have had in this city but the pickles and tomatoes in the sandy made up for a mediocre ball of chickpea.  The grape leaves were also not my favorite, personally I prefer more of an olive oil/citrus flavor but these almost had an alcohol flavor to them but of course I still ate all three, I felt bad for the leaves to be left on the plate.

Finally, as we were preparing to leave there was a plate of baklava that could not be said no to.  I am going to say that these were the best part of the meal, but in the end honey soaked flaky dough is usually delicious and a great way to wrap up the meal.  Unfortunately, my photo taking ability is still rusty and so you only get to admire the end result...

So clearly, it was not too bad but you will just have to take the crumbs words for it.

In terms of recommending this place,  I cannot whole heartedly say drop everything you are doing and cruise on down to Westheimer when there are already so many better tasting (and cheaper) places to get Med food in the Houston metropolis.

Until next time my chirpy little crickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment